Saturday, August 22, 2009

Friday. A day of tears, joy, and sorrow.

Taking advantage of my internet time, I understand that staying up until this late hour is probably unhealthy. For what use is a voting member if his/her mind is unalert and his/her body tired? Well, that may be true. But, seeing as this entire week has been committed to the assembly, I see it as all my blogging time combining and being used now. Plus, I want to write about today while it is still fresh in my mind.

Today was a day of progression, and a time of recession. A day of smiles, and a night of frowns. A morning of hope, and an evening of dismay. How can these two opposites be? Well, it's quite simple. When some members of the Church want to move forward, and some want to stay back, conflicts arise and feelings are hurt.

As someone who is a great monitor of emotions, this day was especially hard for me. I could understand why the leaders of this movement had great hope in the day and in the statement being brought before the Assembly. But, I could also see the discontent and worry on the faces of those who felt opposed, and forgotten. I simply wish that time might put her healing hand on us all, and that God may work in us and through us and together we might bear one another's wounds, past and present, and move forward. Together.

That being said. I'm now going to reflect on the discussions of today. 

Both sides brought their appealing arguments. Unlike earlier in the week, when a lot of faith statements were being shared and fingers were being pointed at each other. Today really marked a period of self-reflection.

For those whom could not accept the ministry statement, they explicitly said why.

For those who saw it as a non-threatening statement, they also stated their views passionately and clearly.

Before I progress further, let me just explain the ministry statement. As I understand it. Please note, there are more scholarly individuals who know it better than I and who might argue with some of my statements. But, overall, I think I have a pretty good grasp on it.

Not having my notes, I'm actually going to come back and edit this section tomorrow. But, I'd just like to clarify a few things that, after discussion with my roommate, I realize some things might still be misinterpreted. 

The statement does not say that pastors may be ordained who admit to being in "committed, long-term, monogamous, same-gender relationships." Rather, it states that the ELCA now has permission to form committees, and such, that will toss around ideas and will work towards reconciling this want while still acknowledging that sex before marriage is an unacceptable way to live, as stated in the Bible and accepted by the Church. Whether this be acknowledging a legal marriage between a pastor and his/her partner, because as of right now the Church does not do that. Or, whether the committee comes up with a better resolution. Simply, this is simply a path the Church has agreed to explore, while still maintaining the strict belief that sex be saved for marriage.

That's just one of the many myths floating around that I'd like to address.

That being said. A lot of the members in the Church who feel opposed to the ministry statement passed today -- whose acceptance/rejection percentage I do not have on me -- oppose it not because they think it entirely wrong. Some, simply feel that it was too early a time to decide things of this matter. Whatever their reasons may be, as I'm sure I haven't even begun to state all of them, I'd like to assure my readers. When the final vote was cast today. Voting on the final section of the ministry statement, there was not applause; there were not claps, there were not even words. There were tears, tears of joy and sorrow; there was silence. a reflection of stunned brothers and sisters and also a sign of respect for those who feel they lost. As someone who's at peace with the resolutions made today, it was my heart that broke when I felt the hurt of those who feel abandoned. There are some who consider leaving the Church because of things passed this week. This saddens me greatly because while they feel lost and abandoned for the first time in their long relationship with the Lutheran Church (whether it be ELCA, LCA, etc), there are those who feel completely accepted for the first time in their long relationship with the Lutheran Church. So how do we reconcile those split feelings? As children of God? 

I don't know. I do know, that we have the responsibility to bear one another's pain. And, that this could be a chance for marvelous healing. I also worry, that those who feel abandoned will leave before we can even turn to comfort them. It's important to understand that the resolutions past today are not binding. They are simply what this Assembly chose was the right direction for the Church. For the next two years. It's also important to note that there are many loop holes in the ministry statement that, while they allow there to be further exploration on how to reconcile homosexuals and their relationships, it also allows congregations to ignore these positions. Because, under bound conscience, no one wants a congregation, or a pastor, or an individual to feel like they need to accept the action homosexuals take on acting on their sexual urgings. A confusing thing, right? I know. For this reason, I strongly urge everyone who even feels slightly conflicted to carefully read the statement. It's intentionally worded so that no one feels as if their beliefs are being compromised. So, if you feel as if you know someone who does feel compromised. Please, encourage them to look back at the statements. It's not always clear, but after talking to individuals on the Taskforce, the statement is not meant to be hurtful and for that reason, please don't take it as such. Of course, I do realize that is a rude statement, for who am I to say that you should not feel offended? 

On that weary note, I end my blogging. It's been a long day, but I hope whoever reads this has a better grasp of what went on in Minneapolis ELCA Churchwide 2009 Assembly today. 

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    Amazing. Thought provoking. Thank you for being there, thank you for caring and sharing, and thank you for being so thoughtful.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete